[OT?] Android phones

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 28 03:59:13 UTC 2010

Actually, I believe the more recent SIP apparently in the app store now work
on 3G, iSip does seem to have that option now, though I haven't put my sim
in the phone to test.

Gonna see if sipdroid or linphone work better now that I've manually upped
my miledtone to 2.1

On 2010-03-27, at 16:10, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Tyler Aviss wrote:

There's more apps, but many are a wasteland of worthlessness.

Apple keeps frying more apps due to not fitting "policy" which regularly
gets more self-serving.

The Android "Marketplace" is not nearly so controlling, and, except when
carriers interfere (cough, cough, AT&T), leaves an express "out" for users
to get at third party apps without need for any central control.

Sipdroid, for instance, allows data-based telephony which Apple *strongly*
rules out.

I have played with Apple apps on my iPod - some are quite slick, but lame
apps are not rare.  One of the Apple "culls" is of the cast of thousands of
"menu UIs" of pictures of bikini girls.  Not heinous stuff, but it does add
to thousands of pretty worthless downloads.  (And if you *want* that, the
Safari browser can find plenty of such of whatever level of raciness may be
desired out on the web.)

> I find the Nexus One looks interesting too.  I had been considering the
HTC Magic, but Rogers se...
I'm also looking at this with interest.  My Palm died (cracked screen, sob!)
the other day, so I will likely be on something new soon.

The HTC Android phones have quite a lot of third party support for custom
firmware - look for CyanogenMod, which is only one example.

I worry that Android may be diverging from Linux, but it doesn't much affect
application space, and kernel devs are worrying about it, and the problem
does not seem intractable.
--
Christopher Browne
Cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org