Asus motherboard? -- never again!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 18:08:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:06:41PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> I also have AMD/Asus board... and it's flaky.  I think the only reason
> why it lasted this long is I have very good power supply.  My next
> computer will be Intel cpu and Intel board.

I will agree on the intel CPU.  For motherboards, intel currently ranks
as one of the worst in my book.  THey are not particularly well built
or reliable, and if there is a BIOS bug (and intel has had plenty of
the last few years), intel can take 6 to 12 months to fix an obvious
bug that other boards makers fix in days.

So:
Intel CPU: Good idea.
Intel chipset: Good idea.
Intel motherboard: Bad idea.

I don't know if via makes chipsets anymore.  Some were decent, some
flacky or buggy.
AMD/ATI chipsets I won't go near.
Nvidia has made some great ones, and some buggy ones.
Intel chipsets just work.
SiS used to be decent a long time ago (486 era), but got a lot worse
over time.

--
Len Sorensen