Word no longer the biggest security hole

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 02:12:33 UTC 2010

On March 22, 2010 05:00:15 pm you wrote:
> I dont't understand why people still use Acrobat when you have
> simpler, faster and free-er alternatives -- even on Windows (Foxit
> reader, for example).
>
> Ok, there's marketing, but on the other hand there's Google, so it's
> not that difficult to find this.

Here's some rational reasons to prefer Acrobat:

1. The best rendering quality. Foxit for instance is fast, simple and
lightweight, and looks exactly like Acrobat 7 -- not bad, but not in the same
class as Acrobat 9. Okular (what I use, same backend as Evince) is usually
quick and decent-looking, but every so often it explodes and produces crap
output, or takes forever to render.

2. Forms just work. Yes they're horrible but they're inevitable for some
things, and Acrobat handles them, period. Most PDF readers don't do forms at
all, much less robustly.

I had a third reason but it slipped my mind.