Asus motherboard? -- never again!

Peter King peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 01:51:36 UTC 2010

Could be something in the machine, at least for the last two. But when
I put in the
factory-sent motherboard on Monday, I also changed the power supply,
and it's all
plugged into a UPS (which should take care of random spikes). So my guess is the
motherboards -- maybe the M4A78 Pro is a rum design.

I have an eight-year-old Asus motherboard in the machine I'm using to send this
message, and it has been a rock. Luck of the draw, perhaps.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Peter King <peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I know any given component can fail. But that's too many, too quickly,
> | including one sent straight from the company. No more Asus products
> | for me.
>
> I wonder if something else in your box is eating motherboards.  For
> example, perhaps the power supply is out of spec or generating spikes.
>
> Why do I wonder?  Because three dead motherboards is a bit of a
> string.  But note: three isn't really a large sample.
>
> If there is a pattern, what is the common factor?
>
> - the brand of the motherboard
>
> - the actual power going into the box (spikes?)
>
> - something in the box
>
>  + the power supply
>
>  + a PCI board
>
>  + an internal device (CD, DVD, HDD, ...)
>
>  + the (lack of) cooling
>
> - an external device (ethernet, modem, printer).  Possibly as a
>  conduit for electrical surge.
>
> In this list, the actual brand of the motherboard would not be the
> first thing on the list that I'd suspect.

Peter King
peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org