Asus motherboard? -- never again!

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 26 01:12:31 UTC 2010

| From: Peter King <peter.king.1-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I know any given component can fail. But that's too many, too quickly,
| including one sent straight from the company. No more Asus products
| for me.

I wonder if something else in your box is eating motherboards.  For
example, perhaps the power supply is out of spec or generating spikes.

Why do I wonder?  Because three dead motherboards is a bit of a
string.  But note: three isn't really a large sample.

If there is a pattern, what is the common factor?

- the brand of the motherboard

- the actual power going into the box (spikes?)

- something in the box

  + the power supply

  + a PCI board

  + an internal device (CD, DVD, HDD, ...)

  + the (lack of) cooling

- an external device (ethernet, modem, printer).  Possibly as a
  conduit for electrical surge.

In this list, the actual brand of the motherboard would not be the
first thing on the list that I'd suspect.