Powerline ethernet experiences?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 22 22:30:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 06:09:22PM -0400, Rafael Carneiro wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying the Linksys PLK300 (
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_360&item_id=020890).
> I like the flexibility that comes with it, I could easily move a mythtv
> frontend between rooms and also extend my LAN by simply buying another
> adapter.
> I've read many reviews and it seems that the real world throughput for those
> devices is 30Mbps~70Mbps, depending on whether you have your devices
> connected to a single circuit or not (do they mean circuit breaker
> perhaps?).
>
> Anyways, my motivation is video streaming (mythtv box/ps3mediaserver <>
> ps3). My WRT54GL (running dd-wrt btw) is just not enough. It works for the
> most part but anything >= 720p gets really choppy.
>
> I have not completely given up on the idea of running a cat-6. Why don't you
> guys have conduits here in Canada? =D
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conduit

Well running HD video on mythtv certainly works much better after I
moved to 802.11n using the 5ghz band.

I have not got good impressions of powerline network stuff and certainly
have never been tempted to get one.

I will either use wireless or I will run proper wiring.  And I am not
really a fan of wireless either.

Ehm, conduits?  Have you seen how cheaply houses are built here?  You are
lucky if half your house isn't run on a single breaker.  Your walls
might even be square if you are lucky.

--
Len Sorensen