you sat tomato, ddwrt or openWRT ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 19 16:42:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:25:00AM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:10:35AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> > | From: Andrej Marjan <amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> >
> > | LWN had a decent review of Tomato, including some concerns:
> > | http://lwn.net/Articles/369367/
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that out.
> >
> > Even the comments submitted to that article were worth reading.
> > Amazing: in the vast majority of things I read, comments added by
> > users are boring, uninformed, or vile.
> >
> > In particular, one comment directed me to this dd-wrt forum thread
> > <http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0>
> > After reading it I don't think I'll run dd-wrt.
>
> Why not? The main developer actively responded in the thread, most devs don't even bother lurking on their project's forums.
>
> That thread is also from 2 years ago -- if it was all that bad I'd expect the project would have folded by now, but it hasn't. So, honest mistake, that was corrected, more than 2 years ago, no reason to write off the whole project.

I think the fact a security notice and an new fixed release (with no
other changes, which is obviously trivial to do) is what looks really bad.

Sure fixing the bug in the next release is a start, but just dismissing
it is bad.

I guess if I was running it, I would have gone and fixed the code and
recompiled it myself, but most users don't do that I suspect.

--
Len Sorensen