Routing choice under user control per application instance?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 20:52:56 UTC 2010

What are the applications? I don't believe it's really possible to
have the routing rules aware of an individual application, but you
could probably pull it off per-destination or per-port.

There are a couple ways I could see doing something like this

a) For given destinations, for example if your application always
connects to a server at IP 256.256.256.1, then change the "route"
rules so that all connections to that IP route through a secondary
router

b) Have the second router connected to a second NIC in the machine.
Use iptables to redirect certain ports through the secondary NIC

c) Have a proxy of some sort which will pass traffic to the secondary
router only, and if your application(s) support proxy settings, set
all the ones you want to use the alternate router to use the proxy.