Dell has a nice big screen on sale.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 17:51:01 UTC 2010

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| The 3007WFP has only DVI dual link input.  The 3008WFP has lots of
| inputs and a hardware scalar.  The 3008WFP is the only one you can
| compare against.  The 3007WFP is a very simple design, but also very
| limited.

Using a 30" monitor in any other way than its native mode, hooked to a
computer, is likely a waste.  You pay a lot more for those pixels that
you would in a 30" 1920x1080 monitor.  If you need to scale something,
get your computer to do it (I admit that DRM may stand in the way).

So paying for the difference between the 3007WFP and the 3008WFP is
probably a waste.

Now, to argue the other way.  I have a dell 24" monitor that I bought
before the 30" came out.  It is now a secondary monitor on my desk.
The 30" is large enough that I don't use the 24" as an extension of
the same computer desktop.  So I regularly watch crappy SD TV on the
whole 24" screen, exploiting the composite input.  I can and do switch
the monitor between DVI (another computer), composite (VCR, which acts
as a live TV tuner too), and component (a switch selecting within a
collection of experiments in HDTV).

| > Notice that a 4x3 image on a new 32" TV is about the same as on an old
| > 26" TV?  The key is to look at the height (last column)
|
| Yeah widescreen TVs (and monitors) are much much smaller than their size
| would indicate.  A 19" wide screen is probably similar to an old 15" 4:3.
| Maybe even a 14".

For TVs, 19" widescreen is about 3% taller than an old 15":
15" 4x3 12.00000000000000000000"x9.00000000000000000000"
19" 16x9 16.55993520536643639968"x9.31496355301862047482"

For CRTs, most manufacturers add about 1" to the diagonal number
(counting glass that won't be part of the image).  Sun was an
exception but even they bowed to competition eventually.  I forgot to
take account of that in my comment about 26" TVs.

For computer monitors, DPI issues add another dimension to the problem.

| > define stats(diag, hr, wr) {
| > 	auto dr;

That should have been "auto sc;".  No matter.