Dell has a nice big screen on sale.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 15:43:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:09:56AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Interesting.  By my trig, (assuming 27" and 30" are exact), the 27"
> screen should be 23.5" wide and the 30" screen should be 25.4" wide.
> Sloppy measurement of my 30" confirms the second figure.

Well approximately.  I doubt they are exactly the same.  30"-10% is 27"
after all. :)  It does seem that when on such a steep angle as widescreen
monitors have, removing 10% of the height really doesn't make the diagonal
much shorter at all (certainly not 10%).  So yes the 27" is a bit narrower
than the 30" (which is absolutely huge).

> A 30" was on sale at Dell for $999 perhaps 3 days ago.  Dell has
> several 30" monitors at different price points.  The difference (as
> far as I noticed is how many different kinds of inputs they take and
> whether they are willing to scale.

The 3007WFP has only DVI dual link input.  The 3008WFP has lots of
inputs and a hardware scalar.  The 3008WFP is the only one you can
compare against.  The 3007WFP is a very simple design, but also very
limited.

> On a raw pixel/$ basis there are way better choices but I would not
> give up my 30" monitor.
>
> The latest iMac has a 27" monitor with resolution similar to this one.

Quite possibly using the same panel.

> ================
>
> I wrote a little bc script to figure out dimensions of TVs.  I plugged
> these monitor numbers in.  Run this script by saving it to tv-trig.bc
> and then running the shell command: bc -l tv-trig.bc
>
> Notice that a 4x3 image on a new 32" TV is about the same as on an old
> 26" TV?  The key is to look at the height (last column)

Yeah widescreen TVs (and monitors) are much much smaller than their size
would indicate.  A 19" wide screen is probably similar to an old 15" 4:3.
Maybe even a 14".

> define stats(diag, hr, wr) {
> 	auto dr;
> 	sc = diag / sqrt(hr^2 + wr^2);
> 	print diag, "\q ", hr, "x", wr, " ", hr * sc, "\qx", wr * sc, "\q\n"
> }
> junk = stats(26, 4, 3)
> junk = stats(32, 16, 9)
> junk = stats(40, 16, 9)
> junk = stats(42, 16, 9)
> junk = stats(50, 16, 9)
> junk = stats(60, 16, 9)
> junk = stats(32, 4, 3)
> junk = stats(27, 2560, 1440)
> junk = stats(30, 2560, 1600)

So by that the 30" is about 25.5" wide and 15.9" high.
The 27" is about 23.5" wide and 13.2" high.

--
Len Sorensen