The $99 microlaptop, now available...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 17 02:42:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:06 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I think my old Nokia N800 has more horsepower than this one, but it's
> | interesting nonetheless.
>
> Quite a bit more.  But it was more expensive (although you can find
> them for ~C$200 sometimes) and not open.
>
> This Ben thing isn't powerful enough to interest me.  32M of RAM and a
> 320x240 screen, and no networking make it too limited.

That's pretty fair, yes, I should probably have noted that it doesn't
include networking hardware, as that quite likely matters.

Even so, I'd like to see the project succeed such that they can come
out with "v2.0" which is more capable, and it may be that they need to
demonstrate some interest in this one in order to justify the next
one.

Hugh will probably recall the "Osbourne effect" :-)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect>