Encryption Tools

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 5 15:36:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have a resource that gives advice about which:
>
> full-disk encryption program to use
>
> and
>
> online encrypted file drop to use
>
> I am looking for something that I can point to so as to justify the
> choices that I make.  For the full-disk encryption program, I will want
> to have a recommendation for both Windows and Mac laptops.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

I don't have a page on advice, but Hushmail is a very interesting
service, both as an actual service and as a discussion of the use of a
third party as a secure file drop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hushmail
(see the controversy section)

..."Their hearts are in the right place but there are certain kinds of
attacks that are beyond the scope of their abilities to thwart. They
are not a sovereign state."  (Zimmerman)

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/11/pgp-creator-def/

Their secure forms service can be used as a file drop.  I have not
done it personally because it is their $50/year business service.  So
no idea about size limits, usability and the like.  But the email
service is simple to use and effective... within the limits discussed
in the controversy.

To get beyond that controversy, you need to give up a bit of
ease-of-use and encrypt locally, but... that introduces a risk of
users getting lazy and failing to encrypt at all.

(and I second the vote for Truecrypt for whole-disk-encryption)

-Mike