Nice Linux-Friendly Music Player

Ken Burtch ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 4 00:02:06 UTC 2010

The talk on the street a few years ago was about the South Korean
player, Cowon, if I remember correctly.  It's more expensive but it also
does video and has more memory.  Does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=021320&cid=MMP.635

http://www.jetaudio.com/products/cowon/s9/

Ken B.

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 14:17 -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> My Creative Zen V died a while back, and I recently picked up a new
> music player, a Transcend MP860:
>
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=027127&cid=MMP.635
>
> It has explicit compatibility with the Linux kernel from version 2.4
> onwards, speaks AVI, Ogg and FLAC, (as well as less free formats and WAV),
> displays text and images, and comes with a silicone case and plays FM
> radio.  It records via internal mic and line in, and the interface is
> very usable.
>
> I listen to audiobooks, and this player is excellent, in that it
> remembers automatically where you are in a given file (crucial if the
> book is divided into long chunks) but also fast-forwards easily, and you
> can speed up or slow down the playback of MP3 files.  The internal
> battery lasts for ages (I haven't drained the battery because I had to
> put more books on it before the charge wore out).
>
> I don't use it, but there is a mircoSD slot, so it's got a lot of
> potential space.
>
> I am definitely impressed.
Ken O. Burtch                                       Phone: 905-562-0848
  "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"              Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
                                 Blog: http://www.pegasoft.ca/coder.html