Nice Linux-Friendly Music Player

Tue Mar 2 19:17:50 UTC 2010

My Creative Zen V died a while back, and I recently picked up a new
music player, a Transcend MP860:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=027127&cid=MMP.635

It has explicit compatibility with the Linux kernel from version 2.4
onwards, speaks AVI, Ogg and FLAC, (as well as less free formats and WAV),
displays text and images, and comes with a silicone case and plays FM
radio.  It records via internal mic and line in, and the interface is
very usable.

I listen to audiobooks, and this player is excellent, in that it
remembers automatically where you are in a given file (crucial if the
book is divided into long chunks) but also fast-forwards easily, and you
can speed up or slow down the playback of MP3 files.  The internal
battery lasts for ages (I haven't drained the battery because I had to
put more books on it before the charge wore out).

I don't use it, but there is a mircoSD slot, so it's got a lot of
potential space.

I am definitely impressed.
--

yours,