Announcing OpenWrt/MLPPP - multilink firmware for consumer routers - Caneris & Acanac

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 21:11:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 04:02:41PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> D-Link DIR-825 and Linksys WRT400n have a number of similarities but
> some differences
> - both have 32M RAM

Actually some DIR-825 rev B seem to have 64MB according to the dd-wrt
developers.  Some have 32MB.  No one seems to know why this is.

Maybe they have two different types of ram they can use and it depends
which they happen to have on hand.

> - the 400n has 8M of flash.  I'd guess that the 825 does as well.

It would seem so.

> - both have AR7161 600 MHz Wireless Network Processing Unit (WNPU)
>   (earlier revs of the 825 were different)
> - 825 has a gigabit switch whereas the 400n is only 100M

Gig is nice.

> - 825 has USB; the 400n does not

USB could be nice.

> In theory, both should be supported well by OpenWRT because the
> Atheros radios have open source drivers.  None of this binary-only
> driver nonsense forced by Broadcom (or Ubicom, I think).  As far as I
> can make out, support for the 400n is not in released versions of
> OpenWRT -- use the development tree.

Correct.  Hopefully someday they will have a new release that includes it.

> I found the 400n for $90 at SIG (a special; normally $100).  The 825
> looks to be more expensive (and has a couple of better features).

And since it is not a linksys it probably runs a lot cooler (at least
other linksys boxes I have seen run very hot, and the 825 sure doesn't).

--
Len Sorensen