Machine fake rebooting

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 17:58:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Tyler Aviss wrote:

> Broadcast message from root at mydomain
> 	(unknown) at 18:38 ...
>
> The system is going down for reboot NOW!
> Connection to mydomain.com closed by remote host.
> Connection to mydomain.com closed.
>
> Now the machine doesn't actually reboot, and the logs don't mention it
> at all, it just drops my SSH connection and I have to reconnect.

A couple of thoughts here:

(1) Under certain types of failure a system may actually fail to shutdown
& reboot properly.  This can happen if one or more filesystems are
hanging.  This is when you may need to reach for MagicSysRq.   Of course
this all presumes a sysadmin or some authorised process (UPS s/w?) told it
to reboot.

(2) 'shutdown -k' does actually produce a fake shutdown message.  Does
anyone else have root and could they be playing around?

Rob

Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy