last day to register inexpensively for (Ottawa) Linux Symposium

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 15:29:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 05:42:16PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Well, for the convenience of the large number of kernel hackers that
> spend *thousands* of dollars to fly in from all over (e.g. -
> transcontinental flights), they need to have a location that allows
> them to spend their time in valuable ways.
>
> *Someone* has got to pay for it, and I see no particular problem with
> the costs being spread across the attendees.
>
> It's cheap in comparison with (say) professional society conferences;
> a quick browse shows that ACM, IEEE, Usenix, INFORMS all tend to
> charge about twice that much, typically offering discounts about equal
> to annual professional membership fees.
>
> OLS needs to pay for a venue, just the same as anyone else.
>
> And I think Stallman would agree with the notion of them charging as
> much as possible.  He even says such, albeit in the context of selling
> software, rather than conference registration, but I don't think
> there's any contradiction there.
> <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html>

OLS is very different than other conferences in that it is so much
less commercial.  It is not covered in adds for various companies.
Just a few sponsors have their names in a few places, but it really is
just lots of Linus people learning from each other.  It can be a serious
brain overload. :)

Of course last years show was less than half of what the previous year
had (both in attendance and number of presentations.  Lots of presenters
didn't make it unfortunately due to budget cutbacks.)

--
Len Sorensen