getting rid of paper files

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 05:04:02 UTC 2010

edward chin wrote:
> The CRA requires original documents when they conduct an audit.

I was doing some searching and the CRA has *weird* terminology on this:

28. Paper source documents that have been imaged in according to the
latest national standard (see paragraph 26) may be disposed of and their
images kept as permanent records.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/ic05-1/ic05-1-e.html

So it seems you're allowed to image them... provided that it meets a
long list of requirements (see paragraph 27).  The full requirements
don't appear to be available online (ironically...), but by that
paragraph 27 thing, it looks like, unless you're huge, a storage locker
is a lot cheaper than the processes and hardware to scan the docs.

I'm surprised by this.  I'm a little happier that I sent CRA all my
originals now, and I store instead legible electronic image files of all
my documents.  I suppose that I could get in trouble if they claim not
to have them, but then, my individual personal taxes aren't that risky.

-Mike