Home NAS Recommendations

Mon Jun 28 01:09:04 UTC 2010

I am planning to set up a fileserver for my home network.  Mainly, this
is so that when my wife is at home she can sync her laptop and her
desktop (both Macs) via a quick-and-easy rsync so that both machines are
always in sync, with an additional copy on the network from which the
offsite network backup can happen at night.

I don't want to set up a separate full-sized machine to take this role -
I'd prefer a small, quiet and inexpensive device that I can plug in and
will "just work".

I am looking at these two devices - a Linksys Media Hub or a WD MyBook:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_357&item_id=023031
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_213_603&item_id=031508

I would welcome any other suggestions or caveats.  Thanks!
--

yours,

William