suspend-hybrid under ubuntu?

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 22 15:52:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:44:27AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>> thanks lennart, not looking for uswsusp -- i use tuxonice instead,
>> it's much cleaner and in my experience always superior.  i just want
>> to be able to get at the underlying functionality through the
>> gnome-power-manager interface.
>
> Well unless the userspace interface provided by tuxonice works the same
> as uswsusp, or acpid or gnome-power-manager or whatever is responsible
> for handling the signals knows how to use tuxonice, it won't work.
> So either create wrapper programs for tuxonice to make it look like the
> normal supported stuff, or add tuxonice support to the other parts.
>
> uswsusp works on my laptop with gnome, so it certainly does do what it
> is supposed to.  tuxonice might not.  How about tuxonice2?  Of course
> it requires kernel patching, which is just too much hassle.

hmm.  now i thought the suspend capabilities were provided by
pm-utils, which is supposed to let g-p-m know about what's available.
pm-utils sees the tuxonice stuff, so maybe the issue is that pm-utils
doesn't send the info up to gpm.  just to confirm, we're talking about
hybrid suspend, right?  in which the kernel suspends to disk but
powers down to S3, so in effect you suspend to RAM with a backup to
disk.

thx,