Local system builders? preferably North York or Thornhill

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 17 20:44:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:31:41PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I concur on WD for HD.  I have a few Seagate HDs, and they spit out
> prefailure messages via smartd every day, from day 1.  My latest couple
> of Seagates haven't failed yet, but the previous two did within weeks of
> purchase.
>
> I have a cheap Asus board (Asus P5KPL-AM) with the GMA 3100 video chip,
> and it works very nicely.  I supports compviz (though I don't - it is
> cute, but totally unnecessary) and it plays games and videos perfectly.

But does it have 2 or 4 memory slots?  If 8GB really is required, then
that isn't a good choice if there is only two slots given the cost of
4GB modules.

I have a P5K board in my mythtv box.  Nice board.  I pretend it is a
P5K-R, so that I can use AHCI in linux.

> If I was buying now, I'd look for sata3 and possibly usb3 in a board.

Those tend to increase the cost quite a bit, and certainly I see no need
for SATA3 yet unless you are using a SATA3 compatible SDD.  No harddisk
is anywhere near the speed of SATA2 yet (they barely reach SATA1 speeds
so far).  USB3 could be nice.

--
Len Sorensen