Local system builders? preferably North York or Thornhill

Thu Jun 17 20:31:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 04:11:46PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>> - Seagate for the HDD
>
>Are you mad?  Saegate hasn't got a clue how to make HDs.  They have
>firmware disasters after firmware disaster.  They have had SATA drives that
>were incompatible with certain controllers because apparently Seagate
>couldn't understand the spec the rest of the industry had no trouble with.
>
>If you want a quiet fast reliable disk that works with everything,
>you buy western digital.

I concur on WD for HD.  I have a few Seagate HDs, and they spit out
prefailure messages via smartd every day, from day 1.  My latest couple
of Seagates haven't failed yet, but the previous two did within weeks of
purchase.

I have a cheap Asus board (Asus P5KPL-AM) with the GMA 3100 video chip,
and it works very nicely.  I supports compviz (though I don't - it is
cute, but totally unnecessary) and it plays games and videos perfectly.

If I was buying now, I'd look for sata3 and possibly usb3 in a board.
--

yours,

William