vlc is broken after upgrading

Thu Jun 17 14:20:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:06:49AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>I dist-upgraded my Debian testing system yesterday, and now I cannot
>view video files.  It appears that the upgrade of libva to version
>1.0.3-1 has killed all non-Flash video on my machine.  I know that there
>is no simple way to downgrade via apt (the Achilles heel of Debian,
>IMO), but is there another way to sort this sort of thing out?  Do I
>remove the offending package and reinstall the previous, non-broken
>library?  Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks!

After further investigation (I installed totem, which failed the same
way) the problem is the new library moved a file that was required.  I
found the suggestion in a bug report to link the new file to the old
name, and poof, I can see video again.  Here is the command:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libva.so.1.0.1 /usr/lib/libva-0.31.0.6.so.1
--

yours,

William