MIT moving to Linux

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 13 00:43:37 UTC 2010

Hello

I guess I should have given this news earlier. Since January, I have had
an Athena account on MIT's computer system. The default dialup (their
term for ssh or telnet) servers this year have recently moved from
Solaris machines to Linux machines. MIT's SIPB has announced that the
Solaris machines will be decomissioned permanently in September in
favour of Linux servers running Ubuntu 9.04 (kernel 2.6.28-18-server).

The Athena accounts are generous, and offer website space that can use
PHP and possibly MySQL, in addition to a separate web space for plain
HTML. I have a "quick-and-dirty" proof of concept that I wrote in PHP:
http://pjk.scripts.mit.edu/lab/index.php -- Just a short bio. It doesn't
do anything that couldn't be done in flat HTML, but there you have it.

Paul King