The Four Different Types of Linux Users

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 13 00:05:02 UTC 2010

On 06/12/2010 06:22 PM, Michael Lauzon wrote:
> "Do you think I covered most Linux users here? If not let me know
> other "types" of Linux users you think there are in the world. If I
> did cover them all where do you fit into my four different categories?
> Perhaps you are even a mix of two, personally I find myself somewhere
> inbetween FOSS Extremist and Linux Advocate depending on my mood.

He didn't. All he did was describe computer users. Each of his
categories applies just as easily to OSX or Windows or to operating
system xyz user.

His last paragraph should read:
Technically inclined user: "They know the ins and outs of their system -
most times... the GUI is optional. If their hardware does not work right
"out of the box"... they are willing to spend hours poring over manuals
and help pages to get it working."

Now that category can include hackers of all OSes :)

He also doesn't make any mention of people who are paid to develop,
support, and use Linux on a day to day basis for, or as their work.

Moreover, within the group of Linux users that he is trying to describe,
there's am immense self-selection bias since it sounds like his analysis
is based mostly on forum postings.

All he can really say is that some people who use computers use Linux,
and that some of those Linux users have more of less technical skill
than other Linux users, which is to say exactly nothing, I think..

His categories don't address why people use computers, and by not
addressing that, he's stuck with generalizations about Linux users that
are so broad they are useless.

Jamon