For the old timers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 2 16:45:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 08:32:58AM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
> My mother uses 295.ca dial-up as her only link to the Internet. It's
> primarily just for e-mail and paying bills, so the low speed isn't
> much of a problem. A little patience is worth the approx. $300 that
> she saves per year.
>
> Question: Does having DSL filters affect your dial-up speeds?
> With DSL filters in the circuit, my USR Courier V.everything modem
> won't work at V.90 speeds. I have DSL filters (4) on everything except
> the DSL modem, including the dial-up modem. I used to connect at about
> 48K. Now it'll still make a V.90 connection but continually retrains
> so as to be virtually unusable. I've had to disable V.90 in the modem
> and now generally connect at about 31K, which remains reliable.
>
> With no DSL modem or filters and the Courier connected directly to the
> line, everything works fine, as before DSL was enabled. Leaving the
> Courier directly connected, with nothing but a single DSL filter
> dangling on a different jack is enough to cause the problem. I also
> get the problem with nothing on the line except the Courier attached
> through a filter.
>
> I'm just curious about this. It's not a big concern because I also
> have high-speed and my dial-up account will cease in September.

I don't think I have ever tried it.

Of course you could have one or more broken filters.  Or a broken DSL
modem that is polluting the low frequency range the modem (and voice)
works in, although given you say it happens with just a filter but no
DSL modem, then perhaps the filter is crap.

A crap V.everything seems inconceivable. :)

--
Len Sorensen