For the old timers

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 2 12:32:58 UTC 2010

On 1 June 2010 23:09, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  I'm with Teksavvy, but I still keep a dialup account as a backup.
> It's with 295.ca.

My mother uses 295.ca dial-up as her only link to the Internet. It's
primarily just for e-mail and paying bills, so the low speed isn't
much of a problem. A little patience is worth the approx. $300 that
she saves per year.

Question: Does having DSL filters affect your dial-up speeds?
With DSL filters in the circuit, my USR Courier V.everything modem
won't work at V.90 speeds. I have DSL filters (4) on everything except
the DSL modem, including the dial-up modem. I used to connect at about
48K. Now it'll still make a V.90 connection but continually retrains
so as to be virtually unusable. I've had to disable V.90 in the modem
and now generally connect at about 31K, which remains reliable.

With no DSL modem or filters and the Courier connected directly to the
line, everything works fine, as before DSL was enabled. Leaving the
Courier directly connected, with nothing but a single DSL filter
dangling on a different jack is enough to cause the problem. I also
get the problem with nothing on the line except the Courier attached
through a filter.

I'm just curious about this. It's not a big concern because I also
have high-speed and my dial-up account will cease in September.

--
Scott A.