For the old timers

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 14:17:37 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 10:04 AM, Mike Kallies wrote:
> Scott Allen wrote:
>> On 31 May 2010 22:47, Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> http://free-loops.com/download-free-loop-4472.html
>>>
>>> This brings back memories. :-)
>>
>> I still hear that sound every morning when I check my e-mail on my
>> Look dial-up account.
>>
>> However, I'll finally stop sometime this September when my year's
>> subscription runs out. I've subscribed to Teksavvy DSL and am
>> transitioning to Gmail for my primary mail account.
>>

> About a year ago, I was traveling around in Mexico.  Internet access was
> scarce in the countryside.  I used a calling card to dial up my ISP to
> download my mail.  There are still a lot of places in the world where
> high-speed Internet apps are just impractical.
>
> In fact, there were a *lot* of recent situations I've been in where the
> Internet access was too unreliable to surf the web, but downloading
> email was tolerable.

I'm wondering how much IPv6 will make that problem more apparent than
less. I'm just speculating, but I'd imagine having 4x more data just for
a simple tcp packet will strain a lot of less developed infrastructure
around the world.

Maybe that won't be an issue since having IPv6 support on an uplink kind
of entails newer equipment. That G20 nations deploy IPv6 and the rest of
the world has to play catch up on legacy infrastructure.

I really have no idea though, Robert B., you seem to know more about
IPv6 infrastructure and (admittedly low) adoption?

Jamon