For the old timers

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 1 14:04:58 UTC 2010

Scott Allen wrote:
> On 31 May 2010 22:47, Fabio FZero <fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> http://free-loops.com/download-free-loop-4472.html
>>
>> This brings back memories. :-)
>
> I still hear that sound every morning when I check my e-mail on my
> Look dial-up account.
>
> However, I'll finally stop sometime this September when my year's
> subscription runs out. I've subscribed to Teksavvy DSL and am
> transitioning to Gmail for my primary mail account.

About a year ago, I was traveling around in Mexico.  Internet access was
scarce in the countryside.  I used a calling card to dial up my ISP to
download my mail.  There are still a lot of places in the world where
high-speed Internet apps are just impractical.

In fact, there were a *lot* of recent situations I've been in where the
Internet access was too unreliable to surf the web, but downloading
email was tolerable.

-Mike