Hardware Diagnostics (Was: A talent for repair)

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 27 16:23:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:47:39AM -0400, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> My question to the list is this,
>
>     What would it take to get manufactures to making their products
> serviceable again?
>
> (And I don't want to hear "Fat Chance" or "can't beat greed" answers,
> give the question a chance and come up with some constructive thoughts.)

We have this situation because "labour cost >>> part cost".  So, either
lower the labour cost, or raise the part cost, or both.  The best way is
to "entice/force" people to buy things that last long time.  The labour
cost will adjust to market condition.  But, it's difficult to do in
Canada, since we don't make the parts.  If we ban all "sub-standard"
imports, then retail stores here will be empty.

--
William