Hardware Diagnostics (Was: A talent for repair)

Jon VanAlten vanaltj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 27 13:19:16 UTC 2010

>>      What would it take to get manufactures to making their products
>> serviceable again?
>>
>> (And I don't want to hear "Fat Chance" or "can't beat greed" answers,
>> give the question a chance and come up with some constructive thoughts.)
>
> The answer is a variation on "can't beat greed". Ways need to be found
> which make it in the companies best interest to make
> serviceable/modifiable products.

> So, bottom line, and a hard question, how do we show the companies
> that people will pay a bit extra for modifiable/repairable hardware?

A good start would be by purchasing the more serviceable products
available, and more importantly registering the products and filling
out related surveys to make clear that serviceability was an important
factor in the purchase.  Most companies, I believe, value this type of
feedback because it can be reliably attached to some part of their
revenue (ie a registered, confirmed, paying customer).

> Or even harder question, how would we get governments to impose rules
> re: making it possible to service hardware...

LOLOLOLOL!!!  Well, maybe in the EU.  But I will not be holding my
breath waiting for *our* government to impose such regulation.