A Data USB Key mounts Read Only under Suse

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 26 17:43:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 06:29:07PM -0400, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Normally, I simply plug in a USB Key and it appears on my desktop. On the
> Suse Linux (10.3) machine, I need to become root to write to it, but
> that's a minor inconvenience.
>
> Then I purchased an 'A Data C905' key at Canada Computers and discovered
> that it would mount only as a 'read only file system'. After over an hour
> of fruitless fiddling around with fstab and device permissions, I decided
> (which I should have done much earlier) to try another key, (by LG). That
> one mounted just fine: I could read from and write to it.
>
> Then I tried the A Data key on a win XP laptop and a netbook running
> Ubuntu Jaunty Jacalope. The key mounted fine on those machines, both read
> and write.
>
> So far as I could see, there are no posts on this specific issue on the
> internet. But some posters mention keys that could not be recognized
> because of a timing delay problem, some keys apparently take longer than
> others to initialize. The cure in that case is to lengthen out a delay
> after the device is recognized.
>
> Has anyone else seen this type of problem?

Some usb keys have U3 support, which tends to mean the first device
they present is a USB CDROM device with drivers.  The secondary device
is the actual USB key flash area.

I have one from kingston that did that, but a windows utility allowed
me to disable that and turn it into a regular USB key instead.

Some linux distributions have udev rules to recognize certain models
and automatically mount the right device instead of the first one.

--
Len Sorensen