Home NAS Recommendations

Fri Jul 23 15:37:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:18:18AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>| From: William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
>| Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:09:04 -0400
>
>I know that this reply is too late, but this is a hook to hang my
>message on.

I don't know - I've never made a hardware decision (except when I bought
a hammer) that I thought I wouldn't be revisiting at some point - even
if it was advice to others.

>This morning's Newegg "shell shocker" might be interesting.
>
>A bare-bones small-form-factor Foxconn dual-core Atom system + 4G of RAM (no
>disk, not keyboard, no mouse, no OS) $157.98 after $20 mail-in rebate.
>
>Room for two 3.5" drives and one optical drive.
>
>This Atom-based system should be fairly low-power and quiet compared
>with a normal PC.  It has 1G ethernet and VGA-only output built in.
>Room for one PCI card.
>
>This won't "just work" but it should be fairly straightforward.  The
>compensating advantage is that you are not at the mercy of an
>appliance vendor's firmware update policy (usually horrible after
>first few months).

That is a very neat little system, and tempting.  The WD firmware policy
is not an issue for me, as I choose when new firmware is applied, and
since it is just running Linux anyway, I have little need to upgrade it
- it really does "just work", but I was aided by the ability to add more
tools.
--

yours,

William