Home NAS Recommendations

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 23 15:18:18 UTC 2010

| From: William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
| Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:09:04 -0400

I know that this reply is too late, but this is a hook to hang my
message on.

| I am planning to set up a fileserver for my home network.  Mainly, this
| is so that when my wife is at home she can sync her laptop and her
| desktop (both Macs) via a quick-and-easy rsync so that both machines are
| always in sync, with an additional copy on the network from which the
| offsite network backup can happen at night.
|
| I don't want to set up a separate full-sized machine to take this role -
| I'd prefer a small, quiet and inexpensive device that I can plug in and
| will "just work".

This morning's Newegg "shell shocker" might be interesting.

A bare-bones small-form-factor Foxconn dual-core Atom system + 4G of RAM (no
disk, not keyboard, no mouse, no OS) $157.98 after $20 mail-in rebate.

Room for two 3.5" drives and one optical drive.

This Atom-based system should be fairly low-power and quiet compared
with a normal PC.  It has 1G ethernet and VGA-only output built in.
Room for one PCI card.

This won't "just work" but it should be fairly straightforward.  The
compensating advantage is that you are not at the mercy of an
appliance vendor's firmware update policy (usually horrible after
first few months).