looking for volunteers to create a Linode HowTo for my iCanProgram Intro to Linux Programming course

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 15:04:13 UTC 2010

See my responses below.

bob

On Monday 19 July 2010 10:25 am, Jon VanAlten wrote:
> > Recently I have encountered a "rent by the month" online Linux service
> >
> > http://www.linode.com
>
> This is what is called a VPS (Virtual Private Server).  Linode is one
> of many such services available today.  Point of note: they are not
> the cheapest VPS provider.

<bob>
Agreed.  I haven't had much experience with any of them.   I recently helped
an associate setup a Linode,  so that was the one I knew.
</bob>

> > which potentially could expand the access for Windows and Mac users
> > greatly.
> >
> > how to setup the Linode
> > distribution,
>
> There is no Linode distribution.  Linode simply provides the hardware
> for the OS to run.  More specifically, they run your OS in a virtual
> machine on their hardware.  Their web site already provides great help
> for setting up a VPS with them.

<bob>
The "target audience" for my proposed HowTo would be the Windows and Mac
world,  so the ease of setup would be an important consideration.    The bulk
of the students who have taken the course had a true Linux distribution
already installed.    The proposed HowTo was targetted at expanding the reach
outside the Linuxers.
</bob>

> > what Ubuntu packages need to be downloaded to the Linode,  how
> > to copy files to and from the Linode using scp and how to use ssh -X to
> > export the X Window screens for the Tcl/Tk elements over to the Windows
> > or Mac side.
>
> Assuming one chooses to run Ubuntu on their linode, any configuration
> or use case howto should be no different than if Ubuntu was running on
> one's own hardware.  Similarly if you choose one of the other
> available distros.  Of course, because the VPS has an external IP,
> there are additional security concerns compared to running in a VM on
> your own system or on a spare machine on your own network.  My VPS is
> constantly being bombarded with (failed) login attempts.

<bob>
I mentioned Ubuntu because it is popular and the code repository is extensive.
I noticed the Linode folks offer serveral other choices for their default VPS
images.

The course session runs typically for a month or two.    Furthermore, the
students will not be putting "sensitive" stuff up on their VPS.   I suppose
accessing a "hacked" VPS from a Windows box might open up some new vector for
malware, but I'm guessing the risk is no higher than traditional Windows
infection channels.
</bob>

> I'm not trying to slam your idea, just suggesting that maybe it could
> be generalized to "how to access linux virtual machines from <other
> OS>" and maybe for a tutorial it seems wrong to advocate a particular
> paid service (unless of course you are being paid to advertise for
> them, which is all well and good and they are a decent service don't
> get me wrong).

<bob>
I have no financial interest in any particular service.   In fact the
iCanProgram course itself is gratis but students are encouraged to contribute
to a Cancer Research charity of their chosing.

A generalized HowTo might work,   but it probably would be better to have
specific HowTo's for each available service that could meet the criteria of
ease of setup and short term contracts.    Better still if these services
"offered" to donate a portion of the revenue from my student contracts to
Cancer Research.    That would be a win-win-win.
</bob>