looking for volunteers to create a Linode HowTo for my iCanProgram Intro to Linux Programming course

Jon VanAlten vanaltj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 14:25:27 UTC 2010

> Recently I have encountered a "rent by the month" online Linux service
>
> http://www.linode.com

This is what is called a VPS (Virtual Private Server).  Linode is one
of many such services available today.  Point of note: they are not
the cheapest VPS provider.

> which potentially could expand the access for Windows and Mac users greatly.
>
> how to setup the Linode
> distribution,

There is no Linode distribution.  Linode simply provides the hardware
for the OS to run.  More specifically, they run your OS in a virtual
machine on their hardware.  Their web site already provides great help
for setting up a VPS with them.

> what Ubuntu packages need to be downloaded to the Linode,  how
> to copy files to and from the Linode using scp and how to use ssh -X to
> export the X Window screens for the Tcl/Tk elements over to the Windows or
> Mac side.

Assuming one chooses to run Ubuntu on their linode, any configuration
or use case howto should be no different than if Ubuntu was running on
one's own hardware.  Similarly if you choose one of the other
available distros.  Of course, because the VPS has an external IP,
there are additional security concerns compared to running in a VM on
your own system or on a spare machine on your own network.  My VPS is
constantly being bombarded with (failed) login attempts.

I'm not trying to slam your idea, just suggesting that maybe it could
be generalized to "how to access linux virtual machines from <other
OS>" and maybe for a tutorial it seems wrong to advocate a particular
paid service (unless of course you are being paid to advertise for
them, which is all well and good and they are a decent service don't
get me wrong).

cheers,

jon