The Best Keyboard Ever - $8.99

aaron d instantkamera-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 17 11:36:07 UTC 2010

> Happy Hacker is rubber-dome.  I no longer use them, because I need all
> the keys on a keyboard, and all keys have to be fullsize keycap.  Honest
> to God, I use CapLock a lot.

That is not the case anymore. HHKB Pro and up use a capacitive switch,
generally referred to as a "Topre switch". They are considered by many to be
the best switch going, and the boards they are found in tend to cost A LOT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology#Capacitive_keyboard

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre+Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre

I agree with the layout comment though, that is the reason I'll never use
the HHKB.

Realforce make several topre-based boards, including the standard layout,
but again, we are talking serious coin ($200+).

> It's difficult to get Cherry keyswitch.  I think Steelseries 7G Gaming
> Keyboard (at Canada Computers) is using Cherry linear keyswitch, but it
> has too much key travel and requires more force than I like.  Das
> Keyboard (from Daskeyboard.com) is using Cherry soft/click tactile
> keyswitch, but it's very expensive.

The point of the cherry blacks (and topres etc) that a proper typist (i.e.
Not Me) will actuate the switch without bottoming out the key (so the cherry
black responds from 40g to 80g at the end of the stroke, but activates at
60g -  this is good on the fingers). Das keyboard IS expensive, as are most
new mechanical boards. I would probably get a Filco before DAS as they have
been known to have some issues. There are cheaper brands that use these
switches though: the "Cherry" brand, adesso, ABS, iRocks, ione, solidtek
etc. but you have to pay attention to the exact model number or you will end
up with a dome.

You can get lucky with some of the older models I mentioned (IBM M, Dell
AT101W) and find them at your local sketchy used computer store.

I am really like the Dell right now.

-aaron