OpenID? (was: Re: The 20 most popular passwords)

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 31 13:01:55 UTC 2010

On Sat Jan 30,2010 08:46:38 PM Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> My id from myopenid.com works reliably but seems not at that
> Freshmeat login page.  Maybe you're supposed to have a pre-existing
> account that you've associated with an OpenID login.

Yes, with Freshmeat you need an existing account. You then log in
using the username and password that you created for the account. In
your Freshmeat user profile there is a field for your OpenID. This
field is used to validate using OpenID and also to associate it with
your user name on Freshmeat.

This is why the generic Google URL
<https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id> doesn't work. The URL must be
unique to you so that Freshmeat can associate it with your personal
account.

I believe I was able to to discover what my Google/Gmail OpenID URL
is. I set up OpenID for my Sourceforge account using the Google
button that they provide. My OpenID URL for Google then appeared in
my Sourceforge user profile. This URL is very long and cryptic, so I
think I'll just stick with using my myopenid.com URL when I need one.

Thanks for the reply,
Scott

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **