OpenID? (was: Re: The 20 most popular passwords)

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 31 01:46:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:21:03 -0500, "Scott Allen" <scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
said:
> On Wed Jan 27,2010 08:56:55 AM Myles Braithwaite wrote:
> > Use this URL https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id when their is no
> > login button.
>
> I believe I tried this and couldn't get it to work. As I understand
> it, a true OpenID URL is unique for each user, just like an e-mail
> address. For many sites, you already have a username for the site
> which is different than what is used to identify you at your OpenID
> provider. The site that you are trying to log in to uses your unique
> OpenID URL to cross reference to your account for that site. If the
> URL isn't unique, the site can't do this and thus can't figure out
> who you are.
>
> If I'm wrong about this, can someone tell me how to make the above
> URL work with <http://freshmeat.net/session/new>
>
> Anyway, to get around the problem, I decided to get an OpenID from
> <https://www.myopenid.com/>. I haven't had any problems with this one.

My id from myopenid.com works reliably but seems not at that Freshmeat
login page.  Maybe you're supposed to have a pre-existing account that
you've associated with an OpenID login.

You can get an OpenID identity from Google if you sign up for Google
Apps.  You need your own domain for this, so this is not OpenID using
myname-Re5JQEeQqe9fmgfxC/sS/w at public.gmane.org  More on this here:

http://code.google.com/intl/es-ES/apis/accounts/docs/OpenID.html

FYI: SourceForge accepts OpenID logins here:

https://sourceforge.net/account/login.php