GCC question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 28 21:04:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 11:55:06AM -0500, bob 295 wrote:
> Yes it is EABI.
>
> I'm with you on the mystery as to why ARM Linux doesn't implement a wait()
> call.   To me that should have nothing to do with the hardware layer and
> should be in the Linux OS layer.   Here is the Gentoo link that made that
> claim:
>
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/213690
>
> Then there is the fact that the cross compiler toolchain I'm using for the
> plug computer (http://www.plugcomputer.org) doesn't come with <sys/wait.h>,
> the main header associated with the wait() function family.

It says waitpid() is not implemented.  It does not say wait() isn't
implemented.

It also says waitpid() is implemented using wait4() using an inline
function.

By the way x86_64 also does not implement waitpid syscall.  It too uses
wait4, so it is hardly anything to be concerned about.  The gentoo bug
was a concern that the 2.4.26 headers incorrectly claimed waitpid()
was implemented when it wasn't on arm.

Some badly written configure scripts and other code will fail, but
that is because they are abusing kernel headers, not because the kernel
doesn't work.

--
Len Sorensen