GCC question

bob 295 icanprogram-sKcZck+fQKg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 28 16:55:06 UTC 2010

On Thursday 28 January 2010 10:39 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:27:26AM -0500, bob 295 wrote:
> > This problem just gets stranger the more I dig.   In one of my Google
> > travels someone on the Gentoo forum claimed that ARM architecture doesn't
> > support the wait() functions,  so they are not implemented for ARM.    As
> > far as I know the use of wait() is the only way to eliminate zombie
> > processes in a forking parent/child architecture.
> >
> > The question I have is why does this process stuff have anything to do
> > with the underlying hardware architecture?    If you can't wait() in ARM
> > Linux what do you do to get rid of zombie processes?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Well I certainly don't believe that linux doesn't implement wait.
> Other OSs might not.
>
> Back when I did do work with arm I never ran into anything that didn't
> just work.  It should be no different than any other linux architecture
> (unless you are doing driver work in the kernel in which case it is
> way different).
>
> I do hope you are using EABI arm (Debian calls it armel).  The old ABI
> is terrible.

Yes it is EABI.

I'm with you on the mystery as to why ARM Linux doesn't implement a wait()
call.   To me that should have nothing to do with the hardware layer and
should be in the Linux OS layer.   Here is the Gentoo link that made that
claim:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/213690

Then there is the fact that the cross compiler toolchain I'm using for the
plug computer (http://www.plugcomputer.org) doesn't come with <sys/wait.h>,
the main header associated with the wait() function family.

bob