"linuxy" smartphones

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 28 16:23:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Do you know in the case Newegg Canada listed an item, is there any chance the
> | item will actually send from the US and we may have to pay custom tax and fee
> | on it?
>
> I think that there is a 100% chance that it will be sent from the US.
> But they do all the customs, PST, and GST collecting.  So the price
> they quote is accurate (with PST and GST added afterwards, as usual).
>
> Interestingly, they list the PST + GST as a handling charge.  Even
> when the item is listed as having "free shipping".

I've had stuff come up from the US from them and other eTailers with a
Canadian presence, but never been hit with the duties in those cases.
If they did ship from the US and nail customers with duties I think
that holy hell would break loose, especially since the taxes have
already been paid appropriately.

What gets me is when I send stuff for repair/replacement in the US.
You have to be *really* careful with the return documentation
otherwise you might get nicked at customs as if it were a new item
instead of returning a repaired item you already paid for. Normally
giving the original receipt for sending it to the retailer will it up
eventually, but that can take months before you get your money back.