Talk January 27th (Wednesday): Bad Budgets, Good Technology

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 26 21:21:46 UTC 2010

For those interested (and able to attend a mid-day talk downtown), John
DiMarco will be talking about the experiences of the Computer Science
Department at U of T over the past decade.  In particular, focusing on
dealing with a budget crunch and aging infrastructure by using low-cost
commodity hardward and, of course, Linux.

http://techknowfile.org/events/bad-budgets-good-technology

Date: January 27, 2010 - 11:00am - 12:00pm
Location: Galbraith Building, Room 120

Computer Science Research started the twenty-first century with a
state-of- the-art networking and storage infrastructure, built out of
best-of-breed technology. But as the infrastructure aged, no sufficient
source of replacement funds could be found. Even basic maintenance of
the existing equipment was becoming difficult. Unless something
exceptional could be done, the research mission of the department was in
jeopardy. Hear the twists and turns of our ultimately successful
endeavour to hold our aging infrastructure together, while
simultaneously designing and implementing an new, powerful and
innovative networking and storage research computing infrastructure made
entirely from low-cost commodity equipment.

Cheers,
Marcus