Options for bridging Linux and Windows filesystems

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 26 21:14:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Matthew Godycki <mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for infrastructure options to bridge Windows and Linux filesystems.
>
> A summary of some of the features I'd be looking for are:
> - exporting a Windows file system to Linux
> - exporting a Linux file system to Windows
> - compatibility with NFS (ie, some of the file systems I'd like to export
>  to windows may be NFS mounts)
>
> A little bit of context about the infrastructure environment:
> - mix of Windows machines for staff
> - RHE infrastructure for all of our systems
> - user accounts managed via Windows DC (ie, only system accts in
>  Linux)
> - managing authorization to file system resources generally done via Windows DC
>
> With my knowledge, Samba seems like a natural fit as a solution to this
> situation.  However, from prior discussions with our infrastructure folks I
> know there's been some questions regarding Samba being sufficiently
> secure.  Are there any other options I should be looking at?  The last
> time I dealt with Samba was probably '99 or so, I'm sure things have
> changed since then.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Matthew
>
> P.S.  The NFS-related info I seeked several weeks ago was great, we're
> now in the process of rolling out NFS v4 as a result!

Domain logins + group policies don't seem to get along with samba 3.x
on anything beyond XP, especially if you have a mixed network. I
believe a lot of that is supposed to be fixable with samba4 but I
haven't had a chance to play with that just yet.

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu