How do I restore a broken Vista Partition without breaking Linux?

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 23 05:20:33 UTC 2010

jim wrote:
> Hi,
> I know this is a bit off topic here but not sure where to get help on
> this. I have a Vista partition that I need for a course I teach. I'm
> usually in my Linux partition but yesterday when I went into Vista, in
> it's Microsoft way it updated itself to Service Pack 2. When I rebooted
> I got a black screen with the cursor showing. I tried booting into safe
> mode and this did the same thing.
<snip>

This fix worked for me on a client's laptop that had the same problem:

Step #1 - Boot to Ubuntu Live Cd or the distro of your choice…
Step #2 - Navigate to and Mount your harddrive
Step #3 - Navigate to windows/system32/winevt
Step #4 - Rename Logs to Logs_old
Step #5 - Create a new folder called Logs
Step #6 - Reboot to a working vista

I also took the precaution of setting her up with a dual boot of Mepis.
She has already told me that she wants me to come back next month and
wipe out the Vista partition in favour of Mepis.

HTH

John