How do I restore a broken Vista Partition without breaking Linux?

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 23 06:44:24 UTC 2010

> > Hi,
> > I know this is a bit off topic here but not sure where to get help on
> > this. I have a Vista partition that I need for a course I teach. I'm
> > usually in my Linux partition but yesterday when I went into Vista, in
> > it's Microsoft way it updated itself to Service Pack 2. When I rebooted
> > I got a black screen with the cursor showing. I tried booting into safe
> > mode and this did the same thing.
> <snip>
>
> This fix worked for me on a client's laptop that had the same problem:
>
> Step #1 - Boot to Ubuntu Live Cd or the distro of your choice…
> Step #2 - Navigate to and Mount your harddrive
> Step #3 - Navigate to windows/system32/winevt
> Step #4 - Rename Logs to Logs_old
> Step #5 - Create a new folder called Logs
> Step #6 - Reboot to a working vista

Thanks a lot John. I tried this but it seems to do the same thing and
lock up with a black screen and white cursor. The newly created Logs
file is empty after a reboot attempt. Do I have to give any permissions
to that folder I made? Just realized I could only make the folder as
root. I'm assuming Windows doesn't care about permissions. I get the
sense that it is something minor. There is still activity on the hard
disk when it sits on the black screen. It is nice to have the second OS
ie Linux so I can edit files in windows to try and get it to boot. Just
not sure which files I should delete etc.
Thanks again,
Jim