Skype 64-bit available

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 22 14:24:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> FYI,
>

> I know it's not the most popular app among those that want to maintain
> sane network configurations, but I thought I'd take note for those
> that have been dealing with the "I have a 64-bit OS and have to
> force-install this bloody 32-bit app" issues.
>
> Last time I checked skype only had a 32-bit app. Now it appears that
> sometime over (the last several months) they've finally released a
> 64-bit installer. So that's one less app in the waiting-line. The only
> one that come to mind that are still an issue for me these days is
> flash, but they do have the 64-bit "alpha" release which actually well
> enough on 'nix anyhow.
>
> Any other useful/semi-needed apps still stuck in 32-bit-land?

One other thing about skype. It may be a pain on sane networking
configurations, but afaik it's the ONLY apps for VOIP on linux that
properly uses PulseAudio.

The OSS/ALSA/PulseAudio is of course another sore spot for many
people, but I must say that on newer 'buntu and/or Debian
configurations it's actually quite to use in most occasions,
especially when it comes to combining with bluez to allow for
bluetooth sound devices/headsets/etc as it's detect-and-go all the way
without having to edit config files.