Keyboards - Availability in Canada

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 12 21:43:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Slack Rat <slacker-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Are say FR, DE, FR (not CF) etc  keyboards generally available in Canada
> without the prices being $megabuckz ?
>
> Or is there a keyboard marketed that would give all of the required
> characters ?
>
> Currently I swap in and out as required although this is a drag as X
> needs to be reconfigured and resterted each time

Canadian Multilingual should give you everything you need, but it's a
horrifying keyboard layout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Canadian_Multilingual_Standard

The location of the pipe and the backslash are awful, also consider
that stuff like umlauts require double-keypresses.  Gnome seems to
support it on my system.

That's the only single keyboard I know of which could do French,
German and English.

Personally, I think you're better off looking at ways to change your
keyboard input dynamically and use the European layouts and then
touch-type, or use a marker on your keyboard :-)

Gnome and KDE seem to do keyboard layout changes pretty well.

-Mike