[Bulk]From another group: Help save MySQL

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 5 16:23:56 UTC 2010

> If Oracle decided not to release MySQL under an OSS licence in the future
> then a code forked version could of course continue under an OSS licence but
> it would do so under a new name.

Actually, it looks like they are not going to be changing anything. It
actually may get more funding, so in the medium time, this may not be
bad for mysql.

Not sure this is because Larry feel okay about mysql or its because he
feel EU may torpedo his Sun deal if he refuse to shape up. We may
never know.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/042364

Found point 6 very interesting

> There is an argument (that I don't necessarily agree with) that a code
> forked version is at a disadvantage because the name as mind share,
> especially among those who are not OSS geeks.  I'm not convinced this is a
> big problem as plenty of projects have forked (under new names) and taken a
> good deal of the developer and user community with them.  Examples in clude
> OpenBSD forking from NetBSD & LedgerSMB forking from SQL-Ledger.  In effect
> developers and users find the tool that fits their needs and they use it.
>
>> I did read mention of patents. Is this the issue?

Actually, if the mind share is only strong among the geeks, its not a
big deal. We are petty good at following those stuff. Have not heard
anybody mention Xfree86 for a long time.

It may be a different case though if the name is strong among managerss

Regards