Arch Linux Breaks Into DistroWatch Top 10

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 4 21:47:14 UTC 2010

Great to see some recognition for Arch Linux, it's philosophy doesn't
lend itself well to full blown distro's based on Arch and its "do it
right or not at all" nature has alienated a lot of Linux hobbyists,
which puts it in a place with little passing trade.

"However, if I had to single out one distribution that was the shining
star of the past year, I would pick Arch Linux. Although designed for
intermediate Linux users, many seem to be attracted to the idea of a
"rolling-release" distribution which is installed once and kept
up-to-date throughout its lifespan via daily package updates. This is,
in a way, a Gentoo of binary distributions, minus extensive time
required for compiling software and without the complexity of many
under-the-hood features. This growing popularity of Arch Linux can
also be observed by the number of Arch-based distributions and
community projects that have appeared during the past year, including
the excellent Archiso-live, Chakra, Kahel OS and the brand-new
ArchServer. The first-ever Arch Linux Handbook was also published last
year. Maybe it's time to replace Gentoo Linux with Arch Linux on our
Top Ten Distributions page?"

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100104#stats

--
Sincerely,